Adult Use or Medical? How About Both.

This last week saw the issuance of a number of interim permits that now allow local cultivators to apply for an interim cultivation licenses through the California Department of Food and Agriculture. As part of the interim license permit, the application requests that you choose which market you would like to serve, either adult use or medical.
While the decision to serve the adult use market or medical market is an important decision, a cultivator’s choice will not matter until July 1, 2018. That’s because the emergency regulations promulgated by the California Department of Food and Agriculture will let you serve both during what the regulations call a “transition” period. Section 8102 of the regulations provides, “Notwithstanding any other provision, until July 1, 2018, licensees may conduct commercial cannabis activities with any other licensee, regardless of the A or M designation of the licensee.”
So cultivators, don’t put too much pressure on yourselves right now to make the decision of which market you would like to serve.